October 5, 2018
We had visits from community guests featured on Kids and Community cards for the week. Officer Shannon Kuehlwein, Sergeant Dan Fowler, and Firefighter Jay Whitehair joined us from the Hanover Police and Fire Departments. Two Hanover High School seniors, Jasmine Lou and Maya Lynn, visited classrooms, specials, and recess. Dr. Zoe Courville, an engineer from the Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRREL), visited seven different classes in kindergarten, first, third, and fourth grades. Members of the Hanover Police Department passed cards out to students outside at recess and in classrooms throughout the week. Dr. Jerry DeSilva, a professor of archaeology at Dartmouth, visited with kindergarten, first, third, and fourth grades.
During these visits we learned a lot about our community guests. Here are some fun facts:
- Firefighter Jay, Dr. Zoe, and Jasmine all love chocolate cake.
- Dr. DeSilva likes pumpkin pie.
- Maya is a fantastic strings performer!
- All firefighters must be able to drive and use all equipment in their stations because they take turns on every truck.
- Dr. Zoe’s equipment to help keep her warm and safe when she travels to Greenland and Antarctica is VERY heavy.
- Dr. DeSilva helped find the skeleton of a mammoth just over the Vermont border in New York State.
- Jasmine loves field hockey.
- Maya has a sister at Ray in 5th grade.
We look forward to having more visitors next week and are grateful for the time and effort that each community member has donated to our Kids and Community program. I hope you are having a wonderful start to the four day weekend. We will see you on Tuesday.
Dot Day: Celebrating Creativity, Courage, and Collaboration!
Make your mark and see where it takes you. The Ray School will celebrate Dot Day on Friday, October 12th in conjunction with our all-school fire safety day. Students have heard all three books of Peter H Reynolds’ Creatrilogy: The Dot, ISH, and Sky Color. We are encouraging students and staff to wear dots on Friday. For more information about Dot Day, visit this website.
Reminder: Walk to School Day
On Wednesday, October 10, we will take part in National Walk to School Day. Please meet at the specific places listed below and walk to school in a group. We do not have designated adults to walk from each meeting spot, so we ask that available parents/guardians walk with a group to help keep all children safe.
Buses will drop students off in the Garipay parking lot on Reservoir Road. Bus riding students will have a choice to walk from Garipay or get off at the Ray School. There will be adults helping students cross Reservoir Road from Garipay lot.
- Greensboro Road at Lebanon St. (Rt. 120) @ 6:45am
- Carter St/Brockway St and Lebanon St. @ 7:05am
- Wyeth & Dunster @ 6:45 am on to Brook Rd @ 6:50 am
- Dartmouth Green @ 7:10am
- Balch & Park Street meeting up with the Green walkers @ 7:20am at traffic light
- Bottom of hill at Camp Brook Road @ 7:35am and on to meet the group at the bottom of MacDonald Drive
- Bottom of hill MacDonald Drive @ 7:40am
- Meadow Lane & Rip @ 7:25am
- Kingsford, Rayton, Haskins & Low meet at end of Rip @ 7:20am
- Verona, Willow Springs meet at end of Rip @ 7:20am
- Fletcher Circle @ 7:35am
- Curtis, Woodmore, Dresden, Bridgeman neighborhood meets at Curtis/Reservoir @ 7:40am or take your usual short cut to school
We are excited to announce that we were able to use funds from our Box Tops collection last year, as well as some grant funding, to purchase HeartZones heart rate monitors for our PE classes. As a reminder, please turn your BoxTops into the office by October 26th. After that, please keep collecting them for the spring submission. Thank you!
Reminder: Picture Day
Picture day will be Friday, October 19th with retakes on Monday, November 19th. If you would like to place your order online please go to https://lifetouch.com/. Our Picture Day ID is VJ018024Q0.
Reminder: Principal’s Coffee
Our first coffee will be on Tuesday, October 9th, from 7:45-8:15a.m. in the Ray Cafe and will occur monthly for the remainder of the year. These events will be informal to allow for a meet-and-greet atmosphere, good discussion, and flexibility to come and go as you please.
Monday Movies with a Scientist
Please click on this link for information about Monday Movies at the Nugget with a Scientist. The first Monday movie is this upcoming Monday, October 8th.
Girls Intro to Hockey Clinic for Ages 8-13
Come see what girls hockey all about with Hanover Hockey Association October 13 and 14 at 11:40AM at Campion Rink, free for girls ages 8-13 with no prior hockey experience! Come dressed to skate! Register at www.hanoverhockey.org Questions? Email email@example.com
Boy and Girls Intro to Hockey Clinics for Ages 4-8
Designed for children with no prior hockey experience, the Hanover Hockey Association Intro to Hockey Clinics are a free, fun way to introduce children to the sport with games that improve both hockey skills and skating ability. Clinics are open to boys and girls 4-8 who are interested in getting on the ice! It is free to register for these clinics, and if your child enjoys it, there is still time to enroll in one or all three of our winter Learn to Play Sessions ($).
- Sat 10/13 and Sun 10/14 from 10:30-11:30 at Campion Rink
- Register for the Free Intro to Hockey Clinics at www.HanoverHockey.org
- For questions or additional information, contact Tracy Purcell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Whaleback Wednesdays are BACK!
Tired of taking your kids and their equipment back and forth to the mountain? Are your kids looking to learn to ski or ride or just want to hit the slopes with their friend's? Whaleback's After School Ski Program is a perfect fit!
- Wednesdays 1/9/19- 2/13/19
- Bus transportation from the Ray School to Whaleback and back to the Ray School for 5:30pm pickup
- K-5th graders
- All abilities from never-evers to experienced rippers! Children grouped by ability!
- Thanks to Golf & Ski Warehouse, ALL 3rd graders can purchase an unlimited youth pass for just $45!!!!
- Need based financial assistance available
- Registration opens 10/5/19 @ whaleback.com
- Questions? Email email@example.com
***This program is run and managed through Whaleback Mountain***